I will get to the point and let you know the how and the why. As I have time I will add links and such, and the reasons that I have traveled down this path.
1. Eliminate processed sugar from your diet. (You are addicted but do not know it most likely.)
2. Eliminate High Fructose Corn Syrup from your diet. (This is poison.)
3. Eliminate hydrogenated oil from your diet. (This is also poison.)
Here is the short and quick on the "whys" the above three items need to be eliminated (in gf terminology):
1. Your brain runs on "sugar." Therefore, if you limit or manage the amount of sugar that you digest, and your brain needs it, your body will find brain food elsewhere. If there is not enough sugar in your blood to run the brain, it will find brain food (sugar) in your fat. Exercising is just extra credit if you manage your sugar intake.
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is not sugar. Yeah, I saw the commercial, whatever. It is not naturally found in nature. It is not food. It is processed in your liver as a poison, and there is a special surprise for you when it is processed. It uses up the inhibitor or signal from your blood/stomach to your brain. You never get that full satisfied feeling when you eat HFCS. Great, so you keep stuffing your face and slurping on Big Gulps.
3. Hydrogenated oil was created so that food would be stable. For example peanut butter. Natural peanut butter separates and the oil rises to the top. (stir and put in the fridge) Hydrogenated peanut butter is shelf stable and never separates. So when you eat it separation still does not happen. Your body gets tired of trying to separate it, break it down, and digest it. Your body simply stores it into fat cells until it has the time and the energy to try again later. Oh, and guess where? The closest place near the digestive tract as possible. Stomach. Butt. Thighs. Nice.
Click here to view the blog that got me going in the right direction: Sher Khan's http://longliveandprosper.blogspot.com/
Click here to view the blog that inspired me to eliminate processed sugar from my diet. Katelyn Nelson's
Click here to view a blog on HFCS that I read often.
Click this to see the page that got my attention about HFCS.
So since my birthday, when I ate an entire blueberry pie, as a good way to say goodbye to sugar, I have moved from 257 pounds on my 6'2 frame (which by the way is categorized as obese), to 222 pounds (which is still overweight). That is 35 pounds in 192 days.Or 35 pounds in 27 weeks. Or 1.3 pounds per week. So I have 1,228 days until I vaporize completely. That is of course, if my math is correct. But the world will be kaput by then, so no worries about vaporizing.
Click here for more info on sugar.
Click here for a quit sugar blog.
Click here to read an article about 1 in 3 Americans could have diabetes by 2050.
The following article was very interesting to me. I speaks of science vs. common sense; comments like "...the pigness of a pig, or the chickeness of a chicken.." often get my attention. Also the fact that I had to use the dictionary twice reading this blog was a nice touch. I would call this an educated semi-rant on food production. Click here to read the blog.
Exercise is usually easier said than done so here is a good article on some guidelines and overall help.
Obesity warning for developing countries.
Microwave popcorn will fry you: Study says it's toxic, with leached food-packaging chemicals. Click here.
Thank you Ashley for this chart! Click to see the USA chart of obesity.
How Ultra-Processed Foods Are Killing Us http://bit.ly/b4pQ4I via @eatingwell
The Basic Seven Foods We Need to Eat
Click here to read Seven Habits That Make You Fat
Here I am after the holidays 2011. If you are expecting bad news I have to disappoint you as I have none. I did gain a few pounds, but I ate like six pounds of organic chocolate, and drank a half a bottle of Jameson's Irish Whiskey, with ten pounds of coffee. I had pie, cookies, and plenty of Christmas goodies. I did make sure that I did not consume much, if any at all, hydrogenated oil as Crisco is in most cookies. I also watched to make sure I did not eat High Fructose Corn Syrup. I had pecan pie made with honey that was real good, and real sweet. I find that I cannot eat much sugar before it does not taste good to me. I feel like I am being over-sugared or even poisoned if I eat too much sugar (like 3 cookies). I hope to get about ten to fifteen more pounds off this year. I will keep you posted.
Click here to see this excellent chart! Thanks Kateyln.
Here is a new blog post that speaks of the evils of High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Thanks to Run Girl Run!! http://www.jessruns.com/
Click the following link to read an article from the NY Times on Sugar, HFCS, and Cancer.
Click here to read my blog on my first year of 86ing Poison.
2012 Update 8/9/2012
The end of the world is upon us in several months. Do not buy Christmas presents early this year. I have read the book Wheat Belly by William Davis, which has changed my views on food in America significantly. I recommend that you pick up a copy and read it as soon as possible.
In short, I have stopped eating wheat. I have discovered that it too is poison. Probably it is the most poisonous of all the food in our diets. They should just call modern wheat "The Diabetes Maker".
That, and the information on GMO's can leave one quite depressed about food in America ..."Amber waves of grain"... my ass! Money is King... or God it seems, and good ole Sam Walton "Mr. USA" is right in the middle of it all.
Anyway, with all the poison reduction in my diet I am well on the way to loosing another 30 pounds. Hey, gee wiz, that will make me at my ideal weight. I am currently at 230 +/- down five to ten from my last posting. I really do not weigh myself as often anymore. I go by how my clothes fit. When I started eliminating poison I was in a tight 40" waist. I am now in a loose 36" waist and I am looking for a new belt. I figure I will be in 34" waist pants by December.